A side view of a smiling African-American entrepreneur scrolling on her laptop while sitting on the sofa in the living room.

Find a Psychologist

Looking for a therapist? Finding a therapist who you feel comfortable talking to is one of the most important aspects of therapy. BAPA members make up a wide variety of skillful, warm and caring child, teen and adult therapists who specialize in a range of issues (anxiety, depression/mood disorders, trauma, stress management, relationships, parenting, life change/transitions), identities (LGBTQ+, various gender identities, races, cultures), modalities (individual therapy, couples therapy, group therapy and more) and treatment approaches (CBT, ACT, DBT, Psychodynamic, EFT, mindfulness, Play Therapy, Art Therapy, Somatic Therapy, EMDR and other trauma-informed therapy and more).

Looking for someone to do a psychoeducational or neuropsychological evaluation for a child, teen or adult? There are many reasons to seek an evaluation. BAPA members can provide testing and meaningful reports with recommendations to assess a range of issues, including: better understanding attention/executive functioning (ADHD and more), learning/school functioning (Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia or other concerns), Autism Spectrum questions, job screening assessments, or getting a cognitive baseline due to memory or other concerns.

Looking for a Family Court Provider? Check out this list of up-to-date Family Court Providers across the Bay Area.

Are you unsure of the differences between a psychologist, psychiatrist, licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT), licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) and more? What sort of treatment(s) are they qualified to do? You are not alone.

Here is a quick Guide to Mental Health Providers and the types of treatments that they are qualified to provide.

Psychologists or licensed psychologists are doctoral level professionals, who have completed an undergraduate degree, usually in psychology, and then complete 4 to 7 years of postgraduate study and obtain a PhD or a PsyD degree in clinical psychology. Psychologists study the mind and behavior, and the treatment of mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders. Most specialize in the treatment of specific disorder(s) or work with particular patient populations in either outpatient or inpatient settings. They provide psychotherapy in order to help their clients overcome conditions and obstacles in their lives. Associate Psychologists are registered with the Board of Psychology to provide therapy or assessments under the supervision of a licensed psychologist.

Psychologists are also trained to administer psychological tests. Psychologists who specialize in testing are experts in diagnosing learning disabilities, changes to memory and cognitive functioning, and other emotional/mental health conditions.

Psychiatrists are medical doctors who have completed an undergraduate degree, 4 years of medical school, and a residency in psychiatry. Psychiatrists assess psychological conditions and prescribe medications to help their patients reduce or eliminate the symptoms of the mental health issue that they are dealing with. Some psychiatrists provide psychotherapy, but most provide medication and medication management in either inpatient or outpatient settings.

Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs) are Masters level professionals who have completed an undergraduate degree and then complete 2 years of Masters level studies in Counseling. MFTs are mental health professionals trained in psychotherapy and family systems, and are licensed to diagnose and treat mental and emotional disorders within the context of marriage, couples and family systems. Many MFTs also provide individual therapy. Associate MFT (AMFT) therapists are provisionally licensed to practice under the supervision of a licensed therapist.

Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors (LPCCs) are Masters level professionals with degrees in Counseling, and whose focus is primarily on the needs of patients as individuals with the purpose of improving mental health. They may also work with families and in group settings.

Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSWs) are mental health professionals who provide counseling, evaluation, intervention, and case management services to those who are suffering from mental health, social, familial and/or medical issues. LCSWs have completed a bachelor degree and then obtained a Masters degree in social work. In addition to taking their client’s psychological and emotional wellbeing into account, LCSWs are also able to provide resources within the community that can help their clients.